Stonewater Logo

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding Spring 2023

What is it?

The ‘Energy Bill Support Scheme Alternative Funding’ is the Government’s additional funding to support people with the rising cost in energy prices.

The majority of people in the UK have already received support towards their energy bills through a £400 payment that has been credited directly to their energy accounts. This hasn’t been available for:

  • Anyone who pays their utility bills directly to their landlord
  • Those living in off-grid properties and rely on oil/gas tanks and generators

The Government recognise that these people haven’t benefited from this support, or the cap on energy prices that domestic account holders have, and so they have introduced the alternative funding scheme. This allows households to claim the same £400 grant that others have benefited from.

Who is eligible?

The scheme is open for people who live in:

  • Park homes
  • Social/Private rented where the landlord holds a commercial contract for energy
  • Partly or wholly self-funded care home residents
  • Houseboats on registered moorings
  • Households on a private electricity network
  • Off-grid homes
  • Non-permanent / supported accommodation

When can people apply?

The application portal opened on 27th February and will close on 31st May 2023.

To be eligible, you must have lived in your current accommodation for at least one month. This means that customers who wish to apply must have moved into their accommodation by 30th April 2023 and submit their application on 31st May.

Where can people apply?

You can apply on the website by searching “apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically” or by clicking here.

The Government won’t send the link to you through text, email or a letter so if you receive anything like this, please consider it a scam and don’t click the link.

Help with applying:

If you can’t access the portal to apply, you can contact the helpline through the following methods:

Telephone: 0808 175 3287
Open: Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

If you live in our Supported Living and Domestic Abuse services, we can help you apply or apply on your behalf with your permission. We will need you to provide us with your details and any supporting evidence to do this.

What do I need to apply?

When applying for the funding through the government portal, you will need the following to hand:

  • An email address or mobile phone number
  • Bank details (a UK current account that must be in your name)
  • If you are not registered for council tax at your property (a likely scenario in Supported Living and Domestic Abuse services), then you will need to upload proof of address to the portal as part of your application. This can be in the form of a UK Driving Licence or a copy of your Tenancy/Licence Agreement

What happens after I apply?

Once the application has been processed, your details will be shared with the Local Authority. The LA is responsible for checking council tax records or the provided proof of address, and are also responsible for administering the payments.

Payments will be made in one full instalment of £400.

There is no timescale for the assessment and payment of the fund. The Government have advised to wait at least three weeks after application before contacting the helpline for an update.

Anti-Scamming Message

To keep you and your details safe, it’s important to be aware of potential scams that might come from this.

The Government will never send a text, email or letter with a link that asks for your personal details, especially your bank details. They will also never get in touch with you directly asking you to apply for the funding.

If you receive any messages about applying for funding, please don’t click links or give any personal details. If you are unsure, you can speak to a member of staff who will be able to help you.


Are there any alternatives to people receiving the money in one single payment of £400?

No, the payment will be made in one instalment.

Can the money go into a bank account in someone else’s name, such as an advocate or someone with power of attorney?

No, the bank account must be in the applicant’s name. This is to stop people using the name and address of an eligible individual to apply for the funding for themselves.

Can individuals living in a house share/HMO set up apply?

Yes, as long as they have individual tenancy agreements with their own identifiable address and pay their utilities direct to their landlord who holds a commercial energy account (landlords with domestic energy accounts have already received the grant funding and should have passed this on to their tenants).

If in supported accommodation, do I need to have been there for a certain period of time to be able to apply?

Yes, you need to have lived in your accommodation for at least one month. This means anyone who moves in before the end of April will be able to apply before the scheme closes at the end of May.

Can I track an application?

You won’t be able to track the application through the online portal but you will be provided with a reference number which you can use if you need to contact the helpline. There’s currently no timescale for this and it is advised to wait at least 3 weeks from the date of application before enquiring about progress.

Can the payment be made straight to my rent account?

No, it has to go into your bank account which must be in your name.

Can I apply if I’m paying communal energy charges to my landlord with a commercial energy contract, but have my own domestic account for personal energy consumption?

If you have your own domestic account for personal consumption then you will have already received the funding directly through your energy provider so you won’t be able to claim for the alternative funding.