Here, in my final redecorating post, I’ve listed the five steps to achieving great looking painted walls.
- Prepare for painting: fill any holes and clean surfaces – sugar soap is ideal for this. Tape-off any surfaces you don’t want painted (e.g.: around window frames, light switches & fittings)
- Ensure all furniture is covered and moved into the centre of the room
- When you’re ready to start painting begin with the ceiling first
- All the woodwork and any pipes/radiators should be painted next (using a gloss or satinwood paint – hardwearing, washable oil based paints)
- The final surfaces to paint should be the walls – if painting over a darker colour you may need a primer (water based) before applying two coats of good quality emulsion.